We are doing just one batch of chicken in 2012.
About our practices
Our poultry are raised on certified Organic feed and untreated pasture/cover crop at Day Road Farms. We avoid antibiotics in general but will dose a flock if the alternative is losing all of them. We will notify all customers if we do have to medicate. This has happened to us only once out of 10 batches of poultry so far.
Details on ordering and picking up
- Orders will be allocated first-come, first-served. We will take reservations for fewer chickens than we have in each batch, in case of flock loss. This means we will also have a waiting list!
- The total cost is $6 per pound (cleaned and dressed). We are not requiring a deposit at this time.
- In the unfortunate, and (we hope) unlikely case of significant flock loss, the last to sign up will be the first to have their deposits refunded and their orders canceled, and our sincere apologies. You will also be first in line for the next batch, if you want.
- In keeping with state regulations, we will process on farm (on Day Road, Bainbridge Island), and the packaged chickens must also be picked up on farm within 48 hours. The birds will NOT be frozen, so bring your coolers, and prepare room in your freezers.
- Plan to wait about 24 hours before eating or freezing your birds.
- If you are interested in helping on slaughter day(s), let us know! We would love to have your help and can find a job for all interests and comfort levels.
- Specific bird selection is also first-come first-served — although the birds should average between 4.5 and 5.2 pounds, we cannot guarantee the size of the birds, so if you want a specific size, come early.
Place an order
August 26th or September 2nd pick-up
Birds will be available for pickup in the afternoon on August 26th or September 2nd. Please indicate which date you prefer on the order form. Contact us for pickup on other days (Saturdays or Mondays).
You can place an order for chicken here: http://bit.ly/chickens-2012
Please be sure to read the details, above, before placing an order.
As always, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-855-5493 with any questions, concerns, ideas, feedback, etc.